Mindfulness

"Perhaps the more important power of Mindfulness is
its power to deal with distress. After practicing
Mindfulness for a while, we would make an important
discovery, that we tend to REACT towards situations.
When something happens, or somebody says or does
something, we react with anger, or happiness, or
hatred etc etc. From here, I learned the first and
most important lesson about happiness, that I am fully
responsible for how I feel. Thus, it is not skillful
to say, "he MAKES ME feel angry". If he "MAKES me"
feel angry, then why is it that ten other people in
the same situation would react in ten different ways?
And not all of them would be angry.

The truth is that *I* react with anger to the
situation. So it's more skillful to say, "*I* feel
angry about what he said", instead of "*HE* makes
me...". There is an important difference here. The
difference is that I take full responsibility for my
own feelings instead of putting the responsibility on
somebody else, and I started to look towards myself
for my own happiness. That, I realized, is the key to
happiness. If only we could work with our reactions,
we would stop being angry, or be less angry, in the
same situation. The same applies to other painful
feelings like disappointment, hatred etc.

This is where the power of Mindfulness lies. When I am
mindful of my state of mind and emotions at all time,
I begin to get a "feel" of how it works. When
something happens, I notice "anger
arising...arising...", and after a while, "anger
falling ... falling..., feeling of regret arising
...", and so on. What is most amazing is that after a
while, I began to develop some mastery over my
reactions! So when anger or hatred arises, I was
mindful of its arising and thus able to dissipate it.
I was no longer a slave of my reactions, getting
swamped by my feelings, but I had developed some say
of how I should feel.

The wonderful thing is that now, I was able to
practice what I already knew. In the past, I knew, for
example, that I should not have shouted at my friend.
Unfortunately, I couldn't control myself, and this "I
knew I shouldn't have" becomes just an elusive,
useless knowledge. It's just like a compulsive
gambler, he *KNOWS* for a fact that what he is doing
is hurting himself and his family, but he simply
couldn't help it. He has no mastery over himself. With
Mindfulness, I began to develop some mastery over
myself and I became more able to apply the "I should
not do it" knowledge to make my life better.

I discovered that with Mindfulness, I am more able to
work with my feelings. I became more patient, less
likely to be angry, more able to take disappointments,
more able to accept myself and those around me. I am
also more appreciative, my emotions more peaceful, and
my mind more concentrated. Simply put, I feel better."
~by Tan Chade Meng

Comments

Fran Lee said…
Well said! The only person who "makes" me do anything is ME. I make that choice every time I speak, listen, or do.
Chenyere said…
This is very wise and sound. I like the term "Awareness". Awareness or Mindfulness can only occur in the Now Moment. The stuff most folks are angry, sad, disappointed about happens, days, months, even years ago. Junk they haven't buried yet. I just released, Tue 1/24/11, bitterness that I held for over 10yrs toward a gas station clerk. I had no idea that I was still carrying her around in my heart. But, I have been praying to be cleansed of all bitterness, (I drink bitter teas to remind me to get the job done.) and this came up with that feeling. I saw the embarassing scene this person caused with me. Felt my anger again. Then I asked myself Soul, "How can I empower her and release us from this bound?" The response was to feel her pain, disappointement, and fear, then speak words of compassion to her. So, I did that. I said to her, "I know you must be hurting in order to speak to me the way that you are, but I see your heart is golden and kind. I'm going to do something that will help both of us. I'm going to put some distance between us so we both can feel better." Then I saw myself leave and go to another gas station where I would get treated properly. I felt much better in the moment. I was responsible for my feelings. She truly never "made me feel" nor caused me to feel anything. But, I'm grateful in this moment for my experience with her and the healing I recieved and passed on to her.

Popular Posts

Essiac: Nature's Cure for Cancer

Essiac: Nature's Cure for Cancer Part II

Pine Ridge, South Dakota-Prisoner of War Camp 334